Thursday, January 06, 2005
First Entry on Mentoring
I'm in the midst of completing the first assignments on mentoring. I wasn't 100% sure if we were supposed to put an entry in this week or not but I thought I would.
Mentoring to me is something that hits very close to home. In fact about a year ago I had explored many mentoring websites, including the one assigned for this class because I was so interested in pursuing it and possibly as part of my business. So this course is extremely interesting to me.
I do have mentors but I don't have any that are actually in the same career path I'm in. So sometimes people ask me if I have role models and I usually have a hard time answering because I think of a role model having the same profession, but I don't think of mentoring that way. Just some initial thoughts.
Mentoring to me is a relationship with someone who takes the time and energy to not only care about your goals and future but advise you and who also learns from the process about themselves and reflects. Also, mentors to me are usually someone who has achieved results in an area of interest to the mentee. These could be specific areas such as education technology or more general things like management, leadership, sales etc. I have one main mentor right now, John who has been a mentor for about 8 years. He has been such a great guide to me in so many ways and I often bounce my business decisions off of him. He is accomplished in his own business which is not the same business as me but it is the same industry. He has been instrumental in helping me to develop the education technology side of my career.
Mentoring to me is something that hits very close to home. In fact about a year ago I had explored many mentoring websites, including the one assigned for this class because I was so interested in pursuing it and possibly as part of my business. So this course is extremely interesting to me.
I do have mentors but I don't have any that are actually in the same career path I'm in. So sometimes people ask me if I have role models and I usually have a hard time answering because I think of a role model having the same profession, but I don't think of mentoring that way. Just some initial thoughts.
Mentoring to me is a relationship with someone who takes the time and energy to not only care about your goals and future but advise you and who also learns from the process about themselves and reflects. Also, mentors to me are usually someone who has achieved results in an area of interest to the mentee. These could be specific areas such as education technology or more general things like management, leadership, sales etc. I have one main mentor right now, John who has been a mentor for about 8 years. He has been such a great guide to me in so many ways and I often bounce my business decisions off of him. He is accomplished in his own business which is not the same business as me but it is the same industry. He has been instrumental in helping me to develop the education technology side of my career.