Friday, March 25, 2005
Mentoring Assignment
How Are We Doing?
Mentor’s Worksheet
My mentee and I have been meeting for ___________ (amount of time).
Approximately 6 weeks
I feel we have established enough trust between us that we can work well together.
Yes
I'll say that since I'm mentoring a group that with some of the group , definately and with others in the group no.
If s/he’s upset or unhappy with me or our relationship, I’m confident my mentee would talk to me about what’s going on.
Disagree. I don't think as a group we have reached this level of intimacy where they would tell me if something was wrong. AGain, I think gthe group is too big. I feel like a few of the members within the group would probably feel comfortable doing this, but not everyone in the entire group.
If I were upset or unhappy with my mentee or our relationship, I would feel comfortable talking with my mentee about what’s going on.
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Again, I'm going to say in general it is hard to say because I feel like with the group, some I would be comfortbale talking with and others I wouldn't.
I feel we’ve made real headway in helping my mentee set goals and take steps to implement them.
Agree. Again, this question is more geared for one on one mentoring but as a whole, I believe I've made headway with the group in establishing trust among the group and within the group close relationships have developed. I cannot take credit for all of this, since the group is part of a pseudo cadre which I interact with but am not responsible for. I'm able to use these relationships they are developing within the group and leverage them, however. Now that this group has completed their face 2 face time, I feel like my role is just beginning. I'm allowing for them to communicate virtually via phpbb. I'm not sure I have buy in from the entire group as I mentioned above, however I do believe I will be able to narrow this group down to a more focussed and committed core group which I will contineu to work with for this project and for my ARP.
Five things I feel are going great in our mentoring relationship are:
1. I've definately established trust with a handful of people in the group. I feel like if they need something or would like to talk they will have no problem contacting me.
2.The group as a whole has continuity and tightness.
3. I've established the means for the virtual communication of the community which will begin being utilized as the group returns to their respective offices
4. I feel I have made significant headway with some key members of the group and that I can have those members buy into the smaller core group I'm working on establishing.
5.As a member of the group but not an equal, I feel like I will receieve as much from this relationship as they fhopefully feel they will benefit. I see the yin-yang effect at WORK!
One thing I wish I could change about how we interact with each other is…
I wish I could get more participation as a whole by the entire group. I feel like the group is too big and I wish I would have thought more about that prior to the relationship. I still have learned tremendously from this, I realize how important intimacy is in a mentoring relationship and that just can't be accomplished when the group is too big. For both this and for my ARP I'm in the process of breaking the group down into a smaller "sub-group". I probably should have done this sooner but it took me a while to realize and a fair amount of reflecting to figure out exactly how to accomplish this!
Mentor’s Worksheet
My mentee and I have been meeting for ___________ (amount of time).
Approximately 6 weeks
I feel we have established enough trust between us that we can work well together.
Yes
I'll say that since I'm mentoring a group that with some of the group , definately and with others in the group no.
If s/he’s upset or unhappy with me or our relationship, I’m confident my mentee would talk to me about what’s going on.
Disagree. I don't think as a group we have reached this level of intimacy where they would tell me if something was wrong. AGain, I think gthe group is too big. I feel like a few of the members within the group would probably feel comfortable doing this, but not everyone in the entire group.
If I were upset or unhappy with my mentee or our relationship, I would feel comfortable talking with my mentee about what’s going on.
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Again, I'm going to say in general it is hard to say because I feel like with the group, some I would be comfortbale talking with and others I wouldn't.
I feel we’ve made real headway in helping my mentee set goals and take steps to implement them.
Agree. Again, this question is more geared for one on one mentoring but as a whole, I believe I've made headway with the group in establishing trust among the group and within the group close relationships have developed. I cannot take credit for all of this, since the group is part of a pseudo cadre which I interact with but am not responsible for. I'm able to use these relationships they are developing within the group and leverage them, however. Now that this group has completed their face 2 face time, I feel like my role is just beginning. I'm allowing for them to communicate virtually via phpbb. I'm not sure I have buy in from the entire group as I mentioned above, however I do believe I will be able to narrow this group down to a more focussed and committed core group which I will contineu to work with for this project and for my ARP.
Five things I feel are going great in our mentoring relationship are:
1. I've definately established trust with a handful of people in the group. I feel like if they need something or would like to talk they will have no problem contacting me.
2.The group as a whole has continuity and tightness.
3. I've established the means for the virtual communication of the community which will begin being utilized as the group returns to their respective offices
4. I feel I have made significant headway with some key members of the group and that I can have those members buy into the smaller core group I'm working on establishing.
5.As a member of the group but not an equal, I feel like I will receieve as much from this relationship as they fhopefully feel they will benefit. I see the yin-yang effect at WORK!
One thing I wish I could change about how we interact with each other is…
I wish I could get more participation as a whole by the entire group. I feel like the group is too big and I wish I would have thought more about that prior to the relationship. I still have learned tremendously from this, I realize how important intimacy is in a mentoring relationship and that just can't be accomplished when the group is too big. For both this and for my ARP I'm in the process of breaking the group down into a smaller "sub-group". I probably should have done this sooner but it took me a while to realize and a fair amount of reflecting to figure out exactly how to accomplish this!