Monday, March 07, 2005
What would I Do Differently...Next Steps
So to continue from the last blog.
Here is what I would do differently next time I mentor a group or help to build a CoP or CoL.
1 - Fill a Need/Build Value
Although I believe the group I worked with saw value in being able to share information virtually, in hindsight, I see the importance of making sure you are filling a need the group has. I also think this helps with building value, if the members of a group have a void and you are helping to fill that void, value will be inherint in the process.
Value can also be built by discussions or examples and benefits.
2 - Intimate Group
I think that the group I worked with was too big. I think that the size of the group created anonyimity in the group so no one felt accountable for particpating. They all felt like someone else would particpate.
3 - Consier Timing and Build Immediacy
Again, hindsight is clearly 20/20 but I think I should have done a better job outlaying the goals to the group and incorporating the timing with each goal. I think if they would have had a better idea of what the particular time frames were, they would have felt more compelled to participate now, rather than later. In addition to that, I believe the timing for this particular group was bad. They had so many other outisde pulls during the time that I was to mentor them that particpation in this group became a low priority.
Those are just a few things I've learned.
My next steps will be to ask for particpants with out right expectations and time frames to provide me a group that is willing and motivated to particpate.
Here is what I would do differently next time I mentor a group or help to build a CoP or CoL.
1 - Fill a Need/Build Value
Although I believe the group I worked with saw value in being able to share information virtually, in hindsight, I see the importance of making sure you are filling a need the group has. I also think this helps with building value, if the members of a group have a void and you are helping to fill that void, value will be inherint in the process.
Value can also be built by discussions or examples and benefits.
2 - Intimate Group
I think that the group I worked with was too big. I think that the size of the group created anonyimity in the group so no one felt accountable for particpating. They all felt like someone else would particpate.
3 - Consier Timing and Build Immediacy
Again, hindsight is clearly 20/20 but I think I should have done a better job outlaying the goals to the group and incorporating the timing with each goal. I think if they would have had a better idea of what the particular time frames were, they would have felt more compelled to participate now, rather than later. In addition to that, I believe the timing for this particular group was bad. They had so many other outisde pulls during the time that I was to mentor them that particpation in this group became a low priority.
Those are just a few things I've learned.
My next steps will be to ask for particpants with out right expectations and time frames to provide me a group that is willing and motivated to particpate.